Nixie Pipe is my interpretation of a modern day Nixie Tube – the cold-cathode vacuum gas-filled tubes from the 1960s.
The project came about when I decided to make a clock for my kitchen, with specific requirement for an egg timer function! I’ve always wanted to make a Nixie Tube clock but having completed a Nixie Tube project recently and one pipe failing after around 6,000 hours, I wanted to come up this something better. Something that didn’t require high voltages, special driving circuitry, could be easily interfaced and was modular, but which maintained the unique visual depth of a Nixie Tube. Continue reading Nixie Pipe – Modern Day LED Nixie Tube
A need popped up at work for a data logger for various lab tasks. Quickly looking at the market, I failed to identify a lab tool for data logging (cheap, easy but powerful setup, remote access); something for researchers and scientists. I decided a Raspberry Pi with some input buffering would be ideal for the task. This is my roll your own data logger, put together on Saturday – showing what is possible quickly and potential with more development time.
The Whitterm-220 (WT-220) is my latest project. It’s a clever terminal, in the sense that it aims to emulate the dumb terminals of the 80s but with the versatility of something produced now. The name comes from my inspiration for the project: failure to win a VT-220 on eBay. I decided it would be fun to make a homage to the VT-220, that would actually be useful – a not so dumb, or clever terminal – that would do more than simply parsing RS232 levels into Ascii characters.
My dad was impressed by my nixie tube energy meter project and expressed interest in his own. Unfortunately, the power inlet for his house was under the stairs and out of view, unlike mine in the corridor. Undeterred and with his birthday coming, I revised the design to be stand-alone with a remote sensor unit.
Having recently bought a house, project time has been a bit thin on the ground. As a standard terrace house, the consumer unit and electricity meter were in the entrance hallway, exposed and looking a bit naff. I liked the look of the meter so I quickly created a box that allowed the meter to poke through and leave access to the fuses.
The box covering did the job but felt a bit cumbersome with all that spare space; it needed something else to give it more purpose. An energy meter was the obvious thing but I didn’t want a garish LCD or 7 segment display, it need to match the blown glass electricity meter… …nixie tubes!
I frequently find myself navigating ’round on my bike, juggling Google Maps precariously in one hand. I don’t appreciate the bulky handlebar phone mounts about so thought I’d make something to neatly integrate with the Garmin Quarter Turn mount…
Following on from adding support to wiringPi for the MCP4725 DAC, I wanted to add driver blocks to Simulink such that one could use them to create graphical models for the Raspberry Pi that could interface with the real-world – a workable alternative to expensive real-time targets.
My laser cut binary clock, Wooden Bits, originally had no means to set the clock, other than at compile time. I later added a tactile button and ISR to provide this function (increment the time until the correct time is shown) but I wanted a way to tap into the extra features of the DS3231 (alarm, temperature) and also to experiment in wireless control.