Being part of a generation that doesn’t watch TV…except documentaries and films…and YouTube…as well, might as well watch it on a big screen. Got a TV, a Samsung Frame – designed to look like a picture frame.
It can mount flush to a wall or be mounted on an easel inspired stand, which Samsung sell separately for £500. I decided to have a go at making one myself.
The design is simple but required some thought and trigonometry, in order to get the TV mounted on the VESA mount just at the right position to rest on the joining platform. Photos speak for themselves.
I planned to get the design CNC cut as I didn’t trust my carpentry skills. Finding someone who could cut planned Oak was difficult however (due to the work holding) and I decided plywood wouldn’t cut the mustard. Instead, I laser-cut templates of the DXF exports and traced them with them jigsaw. It turned out OK; only minor fettling and wood filler involved.
Nixie Pipe is my interpretation of a modern day Nixie Tube – the cold-cathode vacuum gas-filled tubes from the 1960s.
The project came about when I decided to make a clock for my kitchen, with specific requirement for an egg timer function! I’ve always wanted to make a Nixie Tube clock but having completed a Nixie Tube project recently and one pipe failing after around 6,000 hours, I wanted to come up this something better. Something that didn’t require high voltages, special driving circuitry, could be easily interfaced and was modular, but which maintained the unique visual depth of a Nixie Tube. Continue reading Nixie Pipe – Modern Day LED Nixie Tube
21/12/18 UPDATE: Hello to Hack a Day readers. This project was shared when I did it but re-posted recently. It is 2.5 years old and there are many things I would do differently. I am considering work on a IO board specific to the project (RS232 driver, GPIO break-out, proper RX/TX LED buffers and potentially internal LiPo UPS). Glad there is renewed interest in the project as I still use it day to day :).
30/06/19 UPDATE: I did what I was considering! See the updated WT-220 2.0 here
The Whitterm-220 (WT-220) is my latest project. It’s a clever terminal, in the sense that it aims to emulate the dumb terminals of the 80s but with the versatility of something produced now. The name comes from my inspiration for the project: failure to win a VT-220 on eBay. I decided it would be fun to make a homage to the VT-220, that would actually be useful – a not so dumb, or clever terminal – that would do more than simply parsing RS232 levels into Ascii characters.
Having recently bought a house, project time has been a bit thin on the ground. As a standard terrace house, the consumer unit and electricity meter were in the entrance hallway, exposed and looking a bit naff. I liked the look of the meter so I quickly created a box that allowed the meter to poke through and leave access to the fuses.
The box covering did the job but felt a bit cumbersome with all that spare space; it needed something else to give it more purpose. An energy meter was the obvious thing but I didn’t want a garish LCD or 7 segment display, it need to match the blown glass electricity meter… …nixie tubes!
I frequently find myself navigating ’round on my bike, juggling Google Maps precariously in one hand. I don’t appreciate the bulky handlebar phone mounts about so thought I’d make something to neatly integrate with the Garmin Quarter Turn mount…
Continuing on from my Ambient Noise Level Indicator, I wanted to create an enclosure and make it stand-alone – not requiring a computer to do the processing. I ended up with a little device that converts noise amplitude to the light spectrum: Noise Crayon.
The Ambient Noise Level Indicator used the MCU serial host Processing to perform a FFT and various averaging routines to create an indicator for ambient noise. The idea being that it would change colour when background levels rise above a threshold. Moving to an ATMEGA328, performing this processing – especially the FFT – is asking a little too much of it. There are libraries but I’ve heard of limited successes.
I’ve been meaning to make a binary wall clock for a while and to also try out kerf bending with the laser cutter. What put me off creating kerf bends before I found OpenSCAD, was the manual creation of all the lines in the right places. It’s the kind of repetitive, uniform task computers were made to do.
I wanted a wire dispenser that wasn’t fixed in place so I could move it to where I was working. To my surprise, such a thing doesn’t exist (I couldn’t seem to find fixed ones either, other than using a kitchen towel rail). Keen to put my new found love for OpenSCAD to use, I set about making such a thing.
OpenSCAD really suits this type of design requirement; something that is going to need to scale user defined variables (the wire reel in this case). I didn’t want to create a design for 6 wire reels from a specific manufacturer, then find they change their spindle, or I decide I need more reels. It’s particularly hard scaling a laser cut box because of all the teeth/dents that slot it together. With a GUI based CAD program, you’d send hours fiddling around with the spacings/length or trying to create patterns – then still ending up with bits that don’t fit together! This is actually my second project in OpenSCAD that I’d bashed together quickly. I’ve got another more complex project to document too. Continue reading Laser Cut Adaptable Wire Dispenser in OpenSCAD